Author Topic: What makes the biggest diiference Low Mass Carrier or Silent Capture Spring  (Read 2337 times)

Offline The Admin

• Admin
  • Shooter!
Looking at a winter upgrade, of the rifle. I can do one or the other, not both, so what makes the biggest difference? Lo mass Carrier or the silent capture spring (or even just the Lo Mass buffer)

If you do the lo mass carrier, do you really need an adjustable gas block to get the most out of it? or does just an adjustable gas block do some of what the feel for the lo mass carrier would do?

Winter time calls for acquiring and upgrading... so what say ye?
I got a fever, and the only prescription is more 1911's .

Offline carharttfarmer

• Guy that shoots
  • superheroes don't always wear tights
I switched to a low mass bolt carrier haven't had time to adjust my gas block but is a noticeable difference over a standard carrier
,.?';''() diy punctuation insert as needed

Practice is a crutch for the talentless

Offline idHawk

• Staff
  • Calls himself a Shooter..
BK, I think the low mass carrier is the better choice.    The silent capture spring is cool, but you won't really enjoy the full benefits of it without a low mass carrier.   You will notice a big difference with the carrier.   I can also help you modify your buffer to work with the LMC.

Dan

Offline Roop

• Guy that shoots
  • Chuck Norris? Never heard of her.
i have an adjustable gas block on my .308.  Fwiw, it made a huge difference in felt recoil, second only to the brake. my hydraulic buffer made zero difference.

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
I have so much to learn!
Pew Pew Pew

Offline ID#5

• Wannabe shooter.....
How much is that in Mils? - JMack
March 2, 2013

It's completely legal.   The only problem is that it puts you into FR Class (Full Retard), and you might be the only one in the entire country running FR.   Of course, it would set you up for 1st Place in your class, everytime you shoot. 
Big D

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
Tell me about it. I will have my lower done today and then its on to an upper, shotty, and belt gear.  :'(
Pew Pew Pew

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    • [quote author=DJM link=topic=2918.msg25501#msg25501 date=1403129184]  You're a wannabe douche bag.[/quote]
Low Mass Bolt Carrier and adjustable gas block almost need to go together.
When you reduce the reciprocating weight the rifle acts over gassed negating the benefits of the lower mass.

The Silent Capture Spring is cool and definitely worth the money but LMBCG is a better bang for the buck if you can only get one.
"I don't think I have ever met anyone quite so fragileô."
"Please moderate this person for abusive use of power."
Ken Reed

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
Nice. Im learning more and more.

Link for Silent Capture.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

Pew Pew Pew

Offline The Admin

• Admin
  • Shooter!
Low Mass Bolt Carrier and adjustable gas block almost need to go together.
When you reduce the reciprocating weight the rifle acts over gassed negating the benefits of the lower mass.

The Silent Capture Spring is cool and definitely worth the money but LMBCG is a better bang for the buck if you can only get one.

That's what I was thinking with the LMBC and needing to dial back on the gas or the bolt just speeds up. So I have some time between now and the 3 gun season starts, if I go with the LMBC... do I get the JP adj gas block or is there another adj gas block that is better?

The beauty of doing the upgrades to this rifle, are that I have a lower to put another AR15 together, so upgrading parts on this rifle, just give's me parts to use for building up the other rifle. The circle of AR15 life.  :D

Re: What makes the biggest diiference Low Mass Carrier or Silent Capture Spring
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
    • [quote author=DJM link=topic=2918.msg25501#msg25501 date=1403129184]  You're a wannabe douche bag.[/quote]
All adjustable gas blocks suck to some degree, I like the idea of having detents on the adjustments but I havenít found one that fits my needs and Iíve been threatening to make my own for some time now.
Bottom line if you donít adjust them often they will seize and if you donít locktight them they will move, both of which is a PITA   
Ken Reed

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »

Offline The Admin

• Admin
  • Shooter!
The JP/Syrac supposedly has a set screw and detents every 90...

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-SO

Have you tired that one? sounds like for me, once it's set, unless I toss a suppressor on there, it's going to stay that way, or do you find you need to adjust the gas system based on temp? Extreme cold to Extreme hot... like New Year's day at 0 degrees and Ironman at 100 degrees?

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 09:46:11 AM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
I've got one of these styles on my standard AR and it feels like a regular set screw. At this point I don't know enough to have it tuned where it feels the softest. I mainly just keep an eye on it cause it does feel loose enough to vibrate out. That other style you showed has the detents and in my opinion its definitely worth going that route.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:51:32 AM by praetorian97 »
Pew Pew Pew

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 10:03:03 AM »

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
I like the Syrac Ordinance gas blocks but like most they use a small threaded screw for the adjustment (changing the orifice size) and if you donít exercise them they will seize. Bottom-line screw threads and hot gas are not a good combo.
If you adjust your gasblock for best performance you will have your brass pile up at the 4:00 to 5:00 position but as that small orifice starts to build carbon you will notice you need to adjust the block out more to keep the pattern. Therein lies the problem, if you wait until you need to adjust the screw it will be too late.
The big boys use a switch lever with two or three orifice sizes and this is a better option but lacks the ability to fine tune.

In a perfect world we could get a needle valve with large protected threads and detents. :o
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:06:09 AM by J Mack »
Ken Reed

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 10:27:12 AM »

Offline dwood

• Guy that shoots
I have the silent capture spring, low mass carrier and adjustable gas block on my build and love how much I can tune it for recoil and different loads.
Home Range - Parma
Callsign KE1H

Offline Roop

• Guy that shoots
  • Chuck Norris? Never heard of her.
I like the Syrac Ordinance gas blocks but like most they use a small threaded screw for the adjustment (changing the orifice size) and if you donít exercise them they will seize. Bottom-line screw threads and hot gas are not a good combo.
If you adjust your gasblock for best performance you will have your brass pile up at the 4:00 to 5:00 position but as that small orifice starts to build carbon you will notice you need to adjust the block out more to keep the pattern. Therein lies the problem, if you wait until you need to adjust the screw it will be too late.
The big boys use a switch lever with two or three orifice sizes and this is a better option but lacks the ability to fine tune.

In a perfect world we could get a needle valve with large protected threads and detents. :o
i know this is an old topic, but look what i just found: 

gas blocks