Author Topic: Need some help with lightweight AR BCG tuning  (Read 1085 times)

Need some help with lightweight AR BCG tuning
« on: October 17, 2014, 07:24:10 PM »

Offline AF Guy Who Shoots

• Guy that shoots
So I broke down and bought the Rubber City lightweight BCG the other day and I am getting ready to go tune it Sunday. So my question is will I need to remove some weight from my buffer? I have the carbine buffer in there already and it weighs 3oz's. And secondly, will I need a different buffer spring, trim coils off the one I have or just leave it alone. I understand the gas tuning portion of it and am good with that, just need to figure out the questions I asked. Once I make the switch over to the rifle length tube and buffer, will a regular buffer spring work? And how much weight would you take out of the rifle length buffer?
Guy who Shoots 3 gun. Poorly.

Re: Need some help with lightweight AR BCG tuning
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:06:05 PM »

Offline carharttfarmer

• Guy that shoots
  • superheroes don't always wear tights
don't trim your spring and your carbine buffer 3oz is about the same weight as a jp low mass rifle buffer  so just tune the gas and leave it alone  ;)

I haven't tried one but taccom makes a super light buffer you could try if you really want to try and get that last little bit or just like to screw with stuff
,.?';''() diy punctuation insert as needed

Practice is a crutch for the talentless

Re: Need some help with lightweight AR BCG tuning
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 10:06:21 AM »

Offline Birddog6424

• Calls himself a Shooter..
  • μολὼν λαβέ
^^ This

Don't trim your spring.

My rifle buffer weighs 3.2ozs and works great. You don't want to lighten all that up too much. You are trying to walk the line between reduced mass to lighten the recoil impulse, to sufficient mass to reliably chamber the next round.

From here, just close off your gas block, open it a half turn at a time, firing one round at a time out of your magazine till the bolt reliably locks back. Then your set.
"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You have to learn to be slow in a hurry.."   Wyatt Earp

"The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem."  Col. Jeff Cooper