Author Topic: ELR Article, good read  (Read 2574 times)

ELR Article, good read
« on: November 07, 2014, 11:50:57 AM »

Offline The Admin

• Admin
  • Shooter!
I got a fever, and the only prescription is more 1911's .

Re: ELR Article, good read
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 01:23:08 PM »

Offline idHawk

• Staff
  • Calls himself a Shooter..
This was a good read on shooting at extended distance...

http://snipershide.scout.com/story/1473694-the-realities-of-shooting-elr-distances?s=541

What do you know?  All you do is run anymore.   chain

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 02:54:03 PM »

Offline Nealio

• Calls himself a Shooter..
  • un-certified Tanfoglio Armorer
All you need to know is that you need a 6mm.   sthumb
Powered by Bacon

TEAM EUROPEAN STEEL

USPSA A68937
My shooting vids

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »

Offline ID#5

• Wannabe shooter.....
One thing I noticed in the article is they didn't use a camera system.

The camera system that BK designed for Parma is the single biggest asset any ELR shooter can access.

It totally eliminates the 'where did it go' factor, unless you miss it by more than 5 mils....

How much is that in Mils? - JMack
March 2, 2013

It's completely legal.   The only problem is that it puts you into FR Class (Full Retard), and you might be the only one in the entire country running FR.   Of course, it would set you up for 1st Place in your class, everytime you shoot. 
Big D

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 06:11:09 PM »

Offline fastfire

• Guy that shoots
One thing I noticed in the article is they didn't use a camera system.

The camera system that BK designed for Parma is the single biggest asset any ELR shooter can access.

It totally eliminates the 'where did it go' factor, unless you miss it by more than 5 mils....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVnsIZYuDn0

Roberts Tactical Precision I.R.I.S.

This was a very valuable tool on the line when spotting for hits. In most cases, especially on day two we had great conditions to spot hits. But on day one, the ground was not cooperating at all. The IRIS System was great to help identify actual hits on target. The biggest problem, Solids… solid bullets barely make a mark both on the target it self and the ground around it. They just don’t “splash” like a jacketed bullet.
 Kirk Roberts came out, brought his light system and we all agreed, it was well worth it to put them out.

Details

I.R.I.S. (Interactive Remote Identification System) is a patent pending target system that offers many benefits to the long range precision shooter. The high intensity 42 light amber directional LED is visible past 2 miles in daylight, and is highly visible in the worst shooting conditions such as rain, snow, or fog. The wireless Impact Detection Module picks up impacts to the target and sends signals to the Target Control Module housed in the lighting system. I.R.I.S. can also be activated by a high power hand held remote control, capable of triggering IRIS up to 2400 yard (confirmed). The handheld remote can control up to 12 IRIS target systems, allowing full control of multiple target locations from the shooting position. The handheld remote aids in locating targets at long range, as well as indicating which target the shooter is to engage. I.R.I.S. can be run in the field for many days of continuous use on a single charge. We have left I.R.I.S. powered on in the field for over 30 days, since there is minimal draw at idle from both the IDM and TCM.  Both the IDM and TCM lighting system are completely self contained, weather proof, portable, and easy to setup in minutes.

• wireless Impact Detection Module (IDM), no wires to be shot or damaged from impacts.
Each IDM operates on a independent frequency, allowing multiple I.R.I.S. systems to be used in close proximity.
 Multiple IDMs can be programmed to control a single I.R.I.S. TCM lighting system.

• fully contained Target Control Module (TCM)
and rechargeable battery (charger included)
• TCM is fully programmable for multiple IDMs
and handheld remotes
• multiple I.R.I.S. systems can be controlled via
the included handheld remote
• 4 channel remote shipped with single I.R.I.S. systems
(will control up to 4 I.R.I.S. target systems)
• 12 channel remote available for multiple IRIS systems
• IRIS includes one Impact Detection Module (IDM),
one Target Control Module (TCM) and lighting system,
one wireless 4 channel remote, 12 volt charger
• additional Impact Detection Modules and handheld
remotes can be purchased separately
• we offer stand alone systems to attach to your steel, or w
e can provide complete ready to shoot target systems with ballistic grade AR500 steel.
IPSC style sizes 45%, 66%, 100%. 1/4", 3/8" 1/2" 

specifications:

-IDM transmitter range - 150 yards** Cheytac and 50BMG approved

-hand held remote transmitter range - 2,400 yards**

-TCM battery life - over 30 days “at idle”, 3–4 days of continual use (rechargeable)

-IDM battery life - over 30 days 1000 hits (9 volt)

-lighting module visible distance - well over 2 miles in daylight

** depending on conditions, terrain and interference       

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 03:42:32 PM »

Offline ID#5

• Wannabe shooter.....
fastfire,
That system will pick up hits just like the camera, but the camera can help with misses if the spotters don't catch the splash.

It would be super bitchin' if Parma got a 2nd camera and zoomed it out some to help see misses.

March 2, 2013

It's completely legal.   The only problem is that it puts you into FR Class (Full Retard), and you might be the only one in the entire country running FR.   Of course, it would set you up for 1st Place in your class, everytime you shoot. 
Big D

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 06:00:27 PM »

Offline fastfire

• Guy that shoots
fastfire,
That system will pick up hits just like the camera, but the camera can help with misses if the spotters don't catch the splash.

It would be super bitchin' if Parma got a 2nd camera and zoomed it out some to help see misses.

Agreed!

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »

Offline fastfire

• Guy that shoots
fastfire,

I'd like to see a camera straight  in front of the target as it is a bit of a guess on some of the close misses using the camera from the side.
We have steel to put in front of the camera and batteries. 

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 10:07:19 PM »

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    • [quote author=DJM link=topic=2918.msg25501#msg25501 date=1403129184]  You're a wannabe douche bag.[/quote]
You guys can use my camera, same setup as the club camera.
"I don't think I have ever met anyone quite so fragile™."
"Please moderate this person for abusive use of power."
Ken Reed

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 10:51:26 AM »

Offline The Admin

• Admin
  • Shooter!
I'd like to see a camera straight  in front of the target as it is a bit of a guess on some of the close misses using the camera from the side.
We have steel to put in front of the camera and batteries.

We can try it... the problem I forsee, is that the hill drops away so fast, that to put the camera in front of the array, the up angle from the camera to the target will make high/lo shots completely bogus... you would never see a high shot, with the target blocking the sight, and any low shots would probably look like a high shot because of the angle.

Off to the side gives us a more level sight line for high low, but does make the left right harder... almost need the camera on a 20' or higher pole to get it level with the target... now that would be ideal... not sure how to do that though...
I got a fever, and the only prescription is more 1911's .

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 11:33:09 AM »

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    • [quote author=DJM link=topic=2918.msg25501#msg25501 date=1403129184]  You're a wannabe douche bag.[/quote]
We can try it... the problem I forsee, is that the hill drops away so fast, that to put the camera in front of the array, the up angle from the camera to the target will make high/lo shots completely bogus... you would never see a high shot, with the target blocking the sight, and any low shots would probably look like a high shot because of the angle.

Off to the side gives us a more level sight line for high low, but does make the left right harder... almost need the camera on a 20' or higher pole to get it level with the target... now that would be ideal... not sure how to do that though...

Why not just mount the camera to the back of the big target if your only using it to spot misses?
"I don't think I have ever met anyone quite so fragile™."
"Please moderate this person for abusive use of power."
Ken Reed

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »

Offline ID#5

• Wannabe shooter.....
A camera directly in front would be optimal, but because of the way the hill slopes, a camera directly in front would be a challenge.

Parma would have to move a bunch of dirt and/or build some sort of wall of rail road ties and armor up the camera/power source.  Because the heavies would probably punch through a RR tie even at distance.

A camera on a pole would be a challenge to armor and not have a miss tip it over.

A camera mounted to a quad-copter/drone hovering 200 feet directly above the target would be bitchin’ cool. Probably cost/technologically a challenge.  But bad ass for sure and easy to tell left/right and high low misses.

Setting a camera down by the Parma range fence line may work if you could get enough zoom and string enough cable to get line-of-sight on antennas.

Anyway just brain-storming… 
March 2, 2013

Big D