Author Topic: Which buffer / kit for a midlength gas system?  (Read 1197 times)

Which buffer / kit for a midlength gas system?
« on: November 29, 2015, 03:27:46 PM »

Offline highside

• Still shopping for a firearm
Last year I purchased a DSG/Seekins 16" midlength upper (with BCG) for general plinking and occasional varmint eradication.  It's currently sitting on another lower but I want to complete a build for it.  I have most of the parts but am completely ignorant on which buffer / kit ' system to put on it.  H, H2, H3, Standard, VLtor........

What would be a good compromise on reliability and cost?

Will the right combo help with felt recoil? (kid/teenager friendly)?

Thanks All,

Rob

Re: Which buffer / kit for a midlength gas system?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 03:34:35 PM »

Offline AF Guy Who Shoots

• Guy that shoots
I would pick what stock I wanted to run and then decide on buffer accordingly. I run a Luth stock so I run a rifle length buffer. I would also look at a JP silent capture set up for the spring and buffer. It eliminates the spring sound. Not really needed, just a nice addition.
Guy who Shoots 3 gun. Poorly.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 06:32:42 PM »

Offline Jaggy13

• Wannabe shooter.....
Rob,
Aside from what AF Guys said,
The only thing relevant that I can add, is some ammo may recoil on the "light side".
For example Tula has such a light recoil that it fails to lock my bolt back on an empty mag with an 18" rifle gas system. And on my 16" mid system, the buffer never hits the end of the tube. So adding a heavy buffer to that system may cause short stroking in an other wise reliable system.

To answer your question another way, I run carbine buffer tubes and standard buffers in a pistol length, carbine gas system as well as in a 16" mid length, 16" Carbine length and an 18" rifle length system.

I like having them all the same so that I can use all of my rifles and parts bins for the one I want to keep running.

But Like AF guy said, you can go a few different ways depending on what you want the end result to be.
I don't think you "need" anything more than a standard buffer.

But if you want, you can get an adjustable gas block and super tune the heck out of that thing and even get a low mass bolt carrier group, and the silent capture spring.
Just depends on how you want the end result to function.

Ironically, I have found the report to be more intimating to new shooters than most recoil. Hence my superduper comp that makes it a dream to shoot, runs off more first times and causes more flinches than a stock setup.
I'd like to be an optimist.
I just don't think it would work out.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 09:31:15 PM »

Offline highside

• Still shopping for a firearm
Thanks for the tips fellas.

The upper already has an adjustable gas block.  It's a complete upper with a gov't profile barrel and a regular old full auto BCG (non-lightened).

I have a spare BCM gunfighter stock and grip that I'm going to use as well as the ALG ACT trigger.  I don't have the lower guts or buffer tube, spring, buffer, ring, etc. 

The buzz behind the mid-length systems was that they cycled smoother and "hit" softer so I was just wanting to take advantage of that while finishing the build.

Should I just get a kit like the VLtor A5 system or is there a better, more customiz-able route?

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:55:23 AM »

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    • [quote author=DJM link=topic=2918.msg25501#msg25501 date=1403129184]  You're a wannabe douche bag.[/quote]
Thanks for the tips fellas.

The upper already has an adjustable gas block.  It's a complete upper with a gov't profile barrel and a regular old full auto BCG (non-lightened).

The buzz behind the mid-length systems was that they cycled smoother and "hit" softer so I was just wanting to take advantage of that while finishing the build.

Less reciprocating weight = less felt recoil.
We typically run light BCG and light buffers and tune with the gas block but the lighter you go the harder it is to get just right. With your standard BCG and adjustable gas block you could get away with a light weight buffer.

Good luck sounds like a cool rifle!!     
"I don't think I have ever met anyone quite so fragile™."
"Please moderate this person for abusive use of power."
Ken Reed