Author Topic: Setting up an AR type PCC for USPSA  (Read 5398 times)

Setting up an AR type PCC for USPSA
« on: March 27, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »

Offline r.harvey

• Dreams about shooting
I bought a PSA AR upper in 9mm and am using a PSA insert in a regular lower. Currently using a Primary Arms 2 moa red dot. Playing around using this setup mostly feels slow. At beyond typical pistol match distances, like 25 yards, using a bunch of steel targets I was about twice as fast as my pistol.

I'm not use to running a dot at all. I suspect I could use a lot bigger dot for a pistol match. Anybody using an 8 moa or bigger red dot? And which one?

Also has anyone tried the Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:02:18 PM by r.harvey »
Not cool enough to shoot a 2011

Re: Setting up an AR type PCC for USPSA
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 01:56:45 PM »

Offline avking

• Dreams about shooting
I picked up a Sig MPX several weeks ago and really like it. Have put about 1,000 rounds through it so far and it has run without a single malfunction. Waiting on my SBR stamp now.

I put a Vortex Venom on it and it works great. I also tried a Holosun, Aimpoint and a Cmore with a 8 or 10 moa dot, (not sure what size) that I took off other guns. I'm sticking with the venom. For me, the 8 moa was way to big when trying to shoot skinny poppers and tight no shoots.

None of the shooting was in a match, just shooting at home. I've kept it mostly 25 yards and closer.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 08:01:45 PM »

Offline r.harvey

• Dreams about shooting
I'll give my 2 moa dot some more time then.

And the buffer I am wondering about is at blitzkriegcomponents.com

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 08:06:27 PM »

Offline Jaggy13

• Wannabe shooter.....
I played with a few different things running rifle for steel challenge. I found that a 2moa dot was just fine, as long as I turned the brightness up. I shoot both eyes open, so I was always getting a great "dot image" on the target.

I tried forward on the rail, back on the rail and so on, seemed like the closer the dot was to your face, the larger the dot appeared on a target as well. IE a rifle with a 2moa dot at "normal optics" position was similar to a much larger dot on a pistol, because of the distance from your face.

I also ran that same red dot on a pistol and used the same theory. Just brighten the dot. The only issue I ever had was the draw and actually finding the dot the first time.

I know Ron Strickland played with quite a few different dot's as well. He really seemed to respond to the larger dot as I recall. But I would hate to speak on his behalf.

What format mags are you using?
A guy like you with a few glock mags in his possession would use those one would assume....
Any insight on that to pass on?
I'd like to be an optimist.
I just don't think it would work out.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 08:31:32 PM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner
No idea on the Blietzkrieg buffer.  I went with a Spike's 9mm buffer that weighs 8.4 oz and paired that up with a standard carbine buffer spring.  If I can get my hands on one I'd like to try the Wolfe extra power buffer spring, but the above combo seems to work fine.  The Spike's buffer is long enough you don't have to stack $1.75 in quarters to take up the extra space. 

Currently using a 2 MOA Primary Arms red dot, but contemplating using a 6 MOA C-More I have laying around. 
Hope is a lousy strategy, but sometimes it is good tactics. 

Plan B should not be Plan A twice as hard.

If you're happy and you know it, clap your... aw hell, never mind...

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 09:06:44 PM »

Offline carharttfarmer

• Guy that shoots
  • superheroes don't always wear tights

What format mags are you using?
A guy like you with a few glock mags in his possession would use those one would assume....
Any insight on that to pass on?

He's running a mag block and colt mags
,.?';''() diy punctuation insert as needed

Practice is a crutch for the talentless

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 10:07:57 PM »

Offline r.harvey

• Dreams about shooting
When I decided to buy a PSA upper they where out of Glock lowers and had the Colt pattern blocks on sale for $30. Figured I would pick up a Glock pattern lower later because that would be more my style.

I haven't tried different dot positions, didn't even think of it. Going to give it a try, thanks for the tip.

I would like to try a gun with a heavier buffer. I'm running a extra power spring but just a 4ish ounce buffer.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 07:46:40 PM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner
If you come down to Nampa sometime you're welcome to try the Spike's buffer I have.  Then I'd like to try your X-power buffer spring with my buffer. 

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 10:28:55 PM »

Offline r.harvey

• Dreams about shooting
Thanks Evans, just have to see how this year shapes up for me.

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 08:58:51 AM »

Offline DJM

• Dreams about shooting
Thanks Evans, just have to see how this year shapes up for me.

Rumor has it you're taking up sporting clays

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 10:21:14 AM »

Offline avking

• Dreams about shooting
I just got an email that Lone Wolf is finally shipping the Glock mag compatible lower and has uppers for carbine or SBR. Looks like a less expensive alternative to the Sig but more expensive than a Franken upper build.

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 11:28:17 AM »

Offline Talionis

• Guy that shoots
If you come down to Nampa sometime you're welcome to try the Spike's buffer I have.  Then I'd like to try your X-power buffer spring with my buffer.

Always welcome to try mine out as well. It seems to be running great now. Last couple hundred rounds in practice have been smooth. I'm using a RRA 5.4oz 9mm bolt, flatwire rifle(?) spring that I got from Dan to test out, and no spacer in the tube. It would be interesting to get the 9mmAR guys together and compare different buffer and spring weights. No idea if mine is the optimal setup, but so far it is reliable and plenty controllable.

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 02:18:13 PM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner
I'd be up for that.  Seems like there is some trial and error with regard to the buffer system on 9mmARs.. 

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 06:12:20 PM »

Offline r.harvey

• Dreams about shooting
Rumor has it you're taking up sporting clays

I don't know how to respond to such accusations. Except that if I did I would be really good at it. Believe me... Believe me.

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 06:14:33 PM »

Offline r.harvey

• Dreams about shooting
We should make sure that Avking and Nealio are there also, so we can see what a Sig and JP do better. The gas system versus a highly refined blow back versus my random left over parts and cheap 9mm AR stuff.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:17:31 PM by r.harvey »

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 06:24:14 PM »

Offline r.harvey

• Dreams about shooting
Got to do a little shooting last night and experimented with dot position. I now have my dot moved as close to my eye as it will go. The dot moves less in recoil, seems bigger and I have a better field of view through the scope. I guess I was over worried about fogging the lens with my breath when I first set it up.

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 08:28:31 PM »

Offline carharttfarmer

• Guy that shoots
  • superheroes don't always wear tights
Got to do a little shooting last night and experimented with dot position. I now have my dot moved as close to my eye as it will go. The dot moves less in recoil, seems bigger and I have a better field of view through the scope. I guess I was over worried about fogging the lens with my breath when I first set it up.

Mouth breather.
,.?';''() diy punctuation insert as needed

Practice is a crutch for the talentless

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 10:09:43 PM »

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    • [quote author=DJM link=topic=2918.msg25501#msg25501 date=1403129184]  You're a wannabe douche bag.[/quote]
I guess I was over worried about fogging the lens with my breath when I first set it up.

Try something other than your "O" face when shooting your pistol/rifle thing, it might help with your lens fogging issues.

"I don't think I have ever met anyone quite so fragile™."
"Please moderate this person for abusive use of power."
Ken Reed

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 12:18:45 PM »

Offline Nealio

• Calls himself a Shooter..
  • un-certified Tanfoglio Armorer

Always welcome to try mine out as well. It seems to be running great now. Last couple hundred rounds in practice have been smooth. I'm using a RRA 5.4oz 9mm bolt, flatwire rifle(?) spring that I got from Dan to test out, and no spacer in the tube. It would be interesting to get the 9mmAR guys together and compare different buffer and spring weights. No idea if mine is the optimal setup, but so far it is reliable and plenty controllable.

IMHO for a carbine "optimal" should mostly be measured by reliability :)