Author Topic: Setting up an AR type PCC for USPSA  (Read 5361 times)

Re: Setting up an AR type PCC for USPSA
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 10:40:36 AM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner
Shot my PCC in two matches so far: ISPS Hi-cap and Magic Valley's 2-gun.  At the hi-cap match I had two jams, one was a double feed, not sure on the other one.  Cleaned and lubed, shot it some more and hasn't happened since.  At the MV 2-gun match yesterday it ran fine and served as backup gun for a couple dudes after somebody's Aimpoint fell off...

Between the 2 matches I also chrono'd my rounds thru the PCC to see what kind of velocity I was getting. Turns out my typical minor 130 PF ammo out of a 5" gun was just under 9-major PF when shot from the 16" PCC.  So I toned that load down to where it's doing about 1050 fps from the PCC for about 131 PF.  I like the new load.  So did Big D and Irwin Esq when they tried it.  Actually the look on Irwin Esq's face was 1 part disgust, 2 parts damnIneedtodothattoo.   

I have noticed how quiet gun this gun is.  I need some sort of muzzle device that is louder so the shot timer Has an easier time picking up the shots.  Currently just have a A2 bored out to 9mm. 

Hope is a lousy strategy, but sometimes it is good tactics. 

Plan B should not be Plan A twice as hard.

If you're happy and you know it, clap your... aw hell, never mind...

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 11:40:49 AM »

Offline Talionis

• Guy that shoots
Serves me right for not confirming the lock on my optic mount was tight. I will cling to the two stage wins I had without a loose optic as the loser's prize.

Yes, your Extremely Minor load for PCC was disgusting, at least out of Dan's gun with all the JP hotness. Part of the attraction of PCC for me is just being able to run the same ammo I always use for learning to run a carbine, so I'm not quite ready to jump into the whole two separate loads for 9mm thing just yet. But I am now ready to make fun of everyone that does. That whole issue will be moot for me soon enough when I'm running an MP5 with same length barrel as my prod gun though.

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »

Offline Talionis

• Guy that shoots

I have noticed how quiet gun this gun is.  I need some sort of muzzle device that is louder so the shot timer Has an easier time picking up the shots.  Currently just have a A2 bored out to 9mm.

From a bystander's perspective, I thought it was really interesting that your gun/load combo was quieter to the ear than the suppressed MPX SBR. I'm sure part of that has to do with the supersonic snap of the factory ammo he was running though.

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner
Yes, your Extremely Minor load for PCC was disgusting, at least out of Dan's gun with all the JP hotness.

That whole issue will be moot for me soon enough when I'm running an MP5 with same length barrel as my prod gun though.

Dan and I compared my gun to his JP using my ammo.  Recoil between the two felt about the same, or not enough to make me drop coin on a JP silent captured spring (just yet). 

Is it's de rigueur to pop the MP5's charging handle with the bottom of your fist right out of the gate, or do you need to be indoctrinated by Hans Gruber first? 

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 02:44:29 PM »

Offline Jaggy13

• Wannabe shooter.....
Dan and I compared my gun to his JP using my ammo.  Recoil between the two felt about the same, or not enough to make me drop coin on a JP silent captured spring (just yet)

What bolt are you using?
I'm speccing a build out now and was going to use a RRA or JP bolt to keep the silent capture spring an option.
Did you shoot your Ammo in D's carbine too to compare?

Also, I'm really on the fence about just pinning and welding a 14.5 to have a paperless carbine.
Do you think shorter is really needed?
I'd like to be an optimist.
I just don't think it would work out.

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 08:17:07 PM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner
CMMG bolt.  I think it has a removable weight in the back held on by a roll pin that can be removed to work with the JP SCS.  The bolt is ramped so I don't need a 9mm specific hammer.

We shot my ammo in Dan's gun as well as mine, and did not discern enough difference to make me want to spring for the JP buffer system especially with the powder puff loads I'm using. 

It remains to be seen, but a shorty SBR (5-10" bbl) probably would make a difference both from a tight quarters and balance stand point, but that would involve paperwork and giving Uncle Sugar $200.  Plus extra paperwork to take it to an out-of-state match.  Doable, just depends on what kind of hoops you want to jump thru.  Not sure about 3 Gun Nation, but USPSA rules say the PCC has to have a real stock, and Sig Braces and the like are specifically prohibited. 

So that means either a 16.1" bbl or a Form 1 SBR. 

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 09:18:07 PM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 12:22:32 PM »

Offline Mully383

• Dreams about shooting
I've seen this more then a few times now with pcc. I think a break should almost be required for matches. At steel last night we couldn't get a pcc to pick up on the timer at all. Though a different timer would pick it up. I assume that it could of been resolved by adjusting the timer sensitivity but I would recommend everyone to just get a break and be confident your not gonna be reshooting and adjusting timers all day

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 01:22:04 PM »

Offline Talionis

• Guy that shoots
I've seen this more then a few times now with pcc. I think a break should almost be required for matches. At steel last night we couldn't get a pcc to pick up on the timer at all. Though a different timer would pick it up. I assume that it could of been resolved by adjusting the timer sensitivity but I would recommend everyone to just get a break and be confident your not gonna be reshooting and adjusting timers all day

I've found that it's not really an issue once people figure out that they are best served by holding the timer fairly near the ejection port. Works with .22's, suppressed guns, etc.

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »

Offline Nealio

• Calls himself a Shooter..
  • un-certified Tanfoglio Armorer
I've found that it's not really an issue once people figure out that they are best served by holding the timer fairly near the ejection port. Works with .22's, suppressed guns, etc.

I think the timer only picked up 4 shots on some of your runs last night.. ;)