Author Topic: Anyone happen to have a test box?  (Read 2107 times)

Anyone happen to have a test box?
« on: May 18, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »

Offline cabro

• Still shopping for a firearm
Just curious if someone that frequents Nampa matches happens to have an official dimension box laying around for testing.

* cabro just wants to make sure on width

Re: Anyone happen to have a test box?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 07:53:29 AM »

Offline Jaggy13

• Wannabe shooter.....
Not sure I have ever seen one at Nampa.

But you could always build one out of cardboard pretty quick and easy.
I'd like to be an optimist.
I just don't think it would work out.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:49:24 AM »

Offline cabro

I thought about that, but I suck at making things and figured whatever I do make is going to be fractionally different in some meaningful way.

Never having shot a USPSA major match, is there a box test on average?

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »

Offline Jaggy13

• Wannabe shooter.....
I would not let it stop you from coming out to a local match.
If you are referring to a state level, area level or national level match. Then I believe they may box a production gun at the chrono stage.

But local match, we would rather just see you show up. We'll help ya find a division your equipment fits.
I'd like to be an optimist.
I just don't think it would work out.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 10:24:26 PM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner
What gun are we talking about? 
Hope is a lousy strategy, but sometimes it is good tactics. 

Plan B should not be Plan A twice as hard.

If you're happy and you know it, clap your... aw hell, never mind...

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »

Offline cabro

I definitely don't let it stop me from shooting local matches, gun is on the USPSA list and best I can tell is within the rules the way I have it set up for production. I try to come out to matches as often as I can (wish I could do more).

But the concern I have is that I signed up for a couple of bigger matches this year to challenge / embarrass myself and I think my gear is very close to the maximum dimensions for production.

The gun is a USP.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner
If the make/model is on the USPSA approved list for Production division then the gun plus an empty mag inserted ought to fit inside the SS/Prod box -provided you haven't added any after-market add-ons such as a taller rear sight, after-market basepads, wider safety levers, extended mag catch, etc... 
Hope is a lousy strategy, but sometimes it is good tactics. 

Plan B should not be Plan A twice as hard.

If you're happy and you know it, clap your... aw hell, never mind...

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 02:29:07 PM »

Offline cabro

Thanks Evans. According to https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php it's on there:
HK45 45ACP (32 oz.), HK45 Compact 45ACP (28.2 oz.), P 30L 9mm (27.6 oz.), P2000 (22 oz.), P30 9mm (25.6 oz.), P30L v3 9mm (28 oz.), P30LS V1 .40 S&W (29 oz.), P30LS V1 9mm (28.2 oz.), P30LS V3 9mm (27.5 oz.), P7 (28 oz.), P8 (25.3 oz.), USP 45 Auto (30.4 oz.), USP 9mm (27.1 oz.), USP Compact 9mm (25.5 oz.), USP Compact .40 S&W (26.4 oz.), USP Compact 45 Auto (28.2 oz.), USP Compact Stainless 9mm (25.5 oz.), USP Compact Tactical .45 (30.1 oz.), USP Expert 40S&W 5.19 Barrel (33.2 oz.), USP Expert 9mm 5.19 barrel (33.2 oz.), USP Tactical 40 .40 S&W (32.4 oz.), USP Tactical 45 .45acp (32.5 oz.), USP Tactical 9mm (29.2 oz.), USP40 .40S&W (29.2 oz.), USP9SD 9mm (28.2 oz.), VP9 9mm 4.09 inch barrel (25.26 oz.)
Tactical models in DAO only. USP Expert models with mag-wells not allowed. DAO DA/SA models only. USP Expert and Combat Competition not allowed due to magwell.

The part that is confusing me is that out the box, it comes with an ambi control lever that clearly puts it over the 1.625" width.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 08:02:23 AM »

Offline Talionis

• Guy that shoots
The part that is confusing me is that out the box, it comes with an ambi control lever that clearly puts it over the 1.625" width.

Having been present when dudes with stock guns on the approved roster got bumped to open because their safeties made the gun too wide, I would personally recommend changing the safety configuration on the USP. Nice thing about USPs is that it is a pretty easy job to swap to a different FCG configuration.

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
Having been present when dudes with stock guns on the approved roster got bumped to open because their safeties made the gun too wide.

To add to this. This particular box was not within specs. Made from wood and a tape measure used to validate its dimensions. Same gun with an approved USPSA Metal box at Area 1 passed. Not only did it pass but it had room to do the running man dance in the box.

The shitty part is even if you are legal and the RM/MD makes the call that you aren't based on the box they have at the match, welcome to open class.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:18:31 AM by praetorian97 »
Pew Pew Pew

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 01:05:20 PM »

Offline cabro

Having been present when dudes with stock guns on the approved roster got bumped to open because their safeties made the gun too wide, I would personally recommend changing the safety configuration on the USP. Nice thing about USPs is that it is a pretty easy job to swap to a different FCG configuration.

Definitely. I have a left side only only with a v5 detent plate. I don't like it as much as the ambi but it's not a significant factor. With that change on a caliper it shows just under 1.625". But that's considering not laying on it's side potentially at a slight angle with potential debris on the box floor.

To add to this. This particular box was not within specs. Made from wood and a tape measure used to validate its dimensions. Same gun with an approved USPSA Metal box at Area 1 passed. Not only did it pass but it had room to do the running man dance in the box.

The shitty part is even if you are legal and the RM/MD makes the call that you aren't based on the box they have at the match, welcome to open class.

That blows. Hopefully not an issue in my case but seeing there is no appeal, fingers crossed the RM/MD are reasonable.

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
That blows. Hopefully not an issue in my case but seeing there is no appeal, fingers crossed the RM/MD are reasonable.

RM/MDs make the best call they can in the moment. You win some calls, you lose some. There is an Arbitration Process however how do you arbitrate the dimension of a box when no one has a caliper?  :P

Pew Pew Pew

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 03:42:22 PM »

Offline cabro

RM/MDs make the best call they can in the moment. You win some calls, you lose some. There is an Arbitration Process however how do you arbitrate the dimension of a box when no one has a caliper?  :P

Well if you can argue that during arbitration, I'll bring mine heh.

Is there a reason why there is a list of allowed guns, rules on allowed modifications and you must fit in a box? Seems like excessive validation that has the potential to create some unhappy competitors.