Author Topic: mrs moto wants to try shooting  (Read 3343 times)

mrs moto wants to try shooting
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:21:53 PM »

Offline motosapiens

• Guy that shoots
so apparently you guys couldn't scare her off and she saw how much fun we have and how challenging and interesting the sport is, so now I have volunteered to familiarize her with some different guns and shoot some plate rocks and do some basic stuff. It seems like a really good time to have a simple striker fired 9mm, but I don't own one. Do you folks have any wisdom or suggestions?

I was going to have her shoot my buckmark 22 for a bit first, then shoot my 9mm 1911 and my cz75bd (decocker). she has a hard time reaching the safety on a 1911, and a harder time reaching the safety on a cz with a safety, but some of that goes away with practice. I think a couple of steel matches and a few practice sessions would be in order before having her shoot a uspsa match, and she seems good with that approach.

anyone taught a new shooter with small hands and found a big difference in success with cz or 1911 or glock/m&p type guns? 19 round mags and my 75bd seems like the best beginner gun I have for shooting limited minor (and she definitely indicated an interest in less reloading at first, so as not to distract from the rest of the game.)

thanks in advance for any advice.

mw
A75553

Re: mrs moto wants to try shooting
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:55:03 PM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner
My wife has pretty small hands but she prefers her 1911 over any other gun in the collection and doesn't have any problems with the thumb safety.  She can also shoot her Glock 19 pretty good. 

A Browning Hi-power has a pretty small grip and safety is pretty easy to reach.  Think CZ but with better ergo's.  Be happy  to bring it by for her to try sometime.  15 rnd mags, but downside is reloads need to be even more precise than a single stack. 

Or if she wants, she can shoot my CZ SP01 9mm or Glock 34. 

Last option:  PCC! 
Hope is a lousy strategy, but sometimes it is good tactics. 

Plan B should not be Plan A twice as hard.

If you're happy and you know it, clap your... aw hell, never mind...

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:34:41 PM »

Offline dsa

• Guy that shoots
 Have you tried slim grips on a 1911 with a short reach trigger for her?  I don't know if that would help with reaching the thumb safety or not now that I think about it.  But I can't think of anything that would be thinner.  The M&P with the interchangeable back straps might be a good option.  I have a G17 you guys can borrow anytime as well.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 10:53:11 PM »

Offline tahoemustang

• Guy that shoots
My wife has small hands as well and definitely didn't like the size of my Glock grip. She tried out a bunch of different guns and she ended up with a Ruger SR9.   
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:58:13 PM by tahoemustang »
I know people with Masters Degrees that couldn't pour water out of a boot with the instructions written on the sole...

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 11:06:26 AM »

Offline Talionis

• Guy that shoots
Hand size can definitely be an issue re: gun choice for sure. CZ's have comparatively small grips, but the DA pull can definitely be a challenge for small hands, and the thumb safety is in a terrible position if you want to run SA. I can't even reach the TS on a cz very well.

A 1911 with slim grips is normally a popular choice for people with small hands, but obviously a no-go if she can't reach the safety reliably.

As far as crappy plastic guns go, any of the major brands should have an option that can be used fairly well with small hands. I don't like the M&P 9's because of accuracy issues, but they can get pretty slim with the right grip insert.

The Gen 4 Glocks can also be fairly thin without adding any of their back straps, the 19 might be the best choice there for small hands.

The Sig 320 would probably be worth a look, they can get pretty thin with the right grip module, though I'm not sure you will find that configuration to try locally.

If you want, I can loan you guys one of my VP9's with a bunch of grip inserts to try out. I'm sure it's pretty obvious that I'm a fan of that particular gun. They can be very thin, and I've found that they can be operated quite well even with small hands.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
If you need some light 40 loads to use let me know  Beatit
Pew Pew Pew

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    • [quote author=DJM link=topic=2918.msg25501#msg25501 date=1403129184]  You're a wannabe douche bag.[/quote]
I have a STI that I built for my wife with an extremely small/high grip so she could reach the safety I also used the SVI mag release that moves it back further in the grim so she reach it.
I will drop it off at Hawktech with some ammo if you want to take it for a test drive.
"I don't think I have ever met anyone quite so fragile™."
"Please moderate this person for abusive use of power."
Ken Reed

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 04:42:26 PM »

Offline motosapiens

• Guy that shoots
thanks for the generous offers. I think I should *really * avoid letting her try a custom multi-thousand dollar gun just yet.

I took her out and did a little work with the .22 and then switched to my 9mm 1911. She liked that. Only shot a few shots with my cz and was like 'screw this'. It's like 8-10oz lighter, and i had 124 grn boolits loaded for it (not sure if my 147 load will fit in the cz chamber and didn't want to screw around with taking it apart and plunk testing).

she was able to shoot a decent group with both guns at 10 yards, but tends to flinch a little and pull the 9mm low. She was able to pretty much hit the plate rack at 8-10 yards with every shot with the .22, but only about half of her shots with the 9... mostly from pulling low and hitting the frame just below the plate. we also did a drill where she went back and forth between 2 positions shooting 1 plate each time, just practicing the concept of moving with a gun (muzzle discipline, finger out of the trigger guard, etc...). All in all a very good start. Now if I can just get her to do a few mins of dryfire with me every day I think we will be off to the races. Not bad for someone who didn't even know how to work any of the controls on a gun when we got up this morning.
A75553

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 05:52:01 PM »

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    • [quote author=DJM link=topic=2918.msg25501#msg25501 date=1403129184]  You're a wannabe douche bag.[/quote]
I also have a 1911 airsoft and a 22/45 with a modified grip that my wife will use to practice that you're welcome to.
"I don't think I have ever met anyone quite so fragile™."
"Please moderate this person for abusive use of power."
Ken Reed

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 03:25:04 PM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
What was Mrs Motos thoughts today after watching?
Pew Pew Pew

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 04:50:44 PM »

Offline motosapiens

• Guy that shoots
What was Mrs Motos thoughts today after watching?

she wondered why you hate her baking. She cried all the way home.  chain

seriously, she asked a few times about why people shot things a certain way (we had some 'creative' stage plans, or at least stage executions on our squad).

i sanded down some old 1911 grips to reduce the grip another 1/8" for her and she wants to go practice tomorrow morning.
A75553

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 06:17:51 PM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
Haha. Tell her it's cause she made fun of me for falling at Oregon.

Actually life's slowing down so I can finally get back on the health wagon. I've been getting portly again.
Pew Pew Pew

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 10:07:11 PM »

Offline idHawk

• Staff
  • Calls himself a Shooter..
Mark, I built a 2011 for my wife.  Even after reducing the grip and getting the shortest trigger possible, she still felt like it was too much gun.  A 1911 with slim grips and a short trigger worked much better, but she didn't want to be limited to the low round count per mag.   We ended up purchasing a Sig P320 and got the small grip for it.   It's great.   No safety to worry about, it fits her hands very well and it has large capacity mags so she doesn't have to reload so often.   It's been a great option.  Just a thought.   You are welcome to take it out for a test run if you want.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 08:15:37 PM »

Offline Papa_Platt

• Dreams about shooting
I have a G34 with a dot she is welcome to try in a match, I will be out there for the second half of July, let me know if you want to try it and I will bring it along.

With no backstrap it's a pretty small grip and it is very easy to shoot.
I may be old but I'm slow...

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 09:06:10 AM »

Offline motosapiens

• Guy that shoots
4th time at the range yesterday for her. she seems to have figured out the basics of how to shoot. we set up Accelerator steel challenge stage and she was shooting that in 7-8 seconds with both 22 and 9mm 1911. She also shot some nice headshot groups at 10 yards. I think today I will set up my spare belt for her so she can start practicing drawing from a holster instead of low ready.

right now she really really likes the 1911, but we'll surely be interested in trying some other options before she decides what direction she wants to go.
A75553

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 10:33:03 AM »

Offline Talionis

• Guy that shoots
I really think a 9mm 1911 will be very difficult to beat for her uses, quite honestly. It also has the benefit of being something you own and have support gear for. I'd just stick with that and roll on.

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 07:35:48 PM »

Offline motosapiens

• Guy that shoots
Yeah, i'm a big fan of recycle, re-use, repurpose. The most important thing is for her to have fun and like what she is shooting, and so far she digs my 1911. But of course the conventional wisdom is that wimmenz should shoot limited minor because their pretty little heads are too filled with baking recipes and shoe sales to worry about reloading more often. At any rate I think it's smart to try a few different things before we commit to setting her up for singlestack.

Today we did our first dryfire practice drawing from a holster. turns out the safety is no real problem for her now that we took it step by step. she's even smaller than me tho, so i think if she sticks with SS, we are going to go the bullets-out magazines like evans, just so she can fit all of them on the belt, lol. I would switch to that too if it didn't mean buying at least 5 new mag pouches.

Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement. You guys are a big reason she got interested in the sport, since listening to me yap about it is WAY less interesting than watching a mostly talented and focused squad of friends shoot a big match.
A75553

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 08:21:13 PM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
She can borrow my bullets out rig at a practice if you want Moto. It's already equipped with a 1911 holster.

It's small on me so hopefully not to big on her.
Pew Pew Pew

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 10:58:25 PM »

Offline motosapiens

• Guy that shoots
It's small on me so hopefully not to big on her.
LOMFL
A75553

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 10:00:37 PM »

Offline idHawk

• Staff
  • Calls himself a Shooter..
Mark, Mike O'Leary has a 9mm 1911 that is brand new for sale.  I'm pretty sure it could be had for around $350.   IIRC, it needs sights cut, but Dean can do that and a good trigger job for around $70.   It would make a great gun and the price is right.   I think I might even have a set of Novak Sights that I picked up off a prize table that you could have.  I'm not doing anything with them at this point.