Author Topic: "Concealed Carry" match  (Read 5192 times)

"Concealed Carry" match
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
Basic concept: A game where we can shoot stuff, have fun, and use the guns suitable for daily carry.  Minimum caliber is 9mm . No .380 or 22LR.

Premise: IDPA gear/concealment with USPSA rules.

Design stages that simulate a "it-could-happen-to-you" scenario.  No zombie apocalypse, no Red Dawn remake, just basic home invasion, carjack, Gem Stop shop and rob, or food court type scenarios.  We use USPSA rules with USPSA targets, fault lines instead of "cover" (make people lean), vision barriers, etc.  Basic shoot'em as you see 'em stuff.  Use the IDPA stencils to indicate 2 rnd, 3 rnd (pistol) or 5 rnds (AK) required per target.  Put up as many No-shoots as you want for hostages because #WhiteTargetsMatter.  Shoot as many poppers as you want because fun.  No restrictions on reloads.

However the equipment rules will emphasize concealed carry gear only.  We can break the guns out by division:  Full size, compact, and sub compact.  Don't care about action -people will shoot the gun they own.  Full size iron sight gun with mag inserted must fit in the IDPA box.  Make inserts for the box to regulate max compact and subcompact size allowed.  For sake of simplicity any gun with an optic is OK, but the host gun must fit in the box if the optic was dismounted.  Since we don't have many CO shooters, all optic guns will compete in one division. If somebody puts a dot on a G43 they are competing against a G34 MOS.

Capacity: 10 rounds for full size, 8 rounds for compact and 6 rounds for subcompact. Gun with mag inserted must fit in box. We'll score people major or minor depending on the caliber.

Holster and mag pouches must be suitable as carry gear.  No double belts, no race holsters, no magnets, no DOH holsters, and no cross-draw or shoulder holsters.  Only restriction on placement is it cannot point the gun up range on the draw.  If you can document that you carry your "concealed carry" gun this way at least 3 days a week, rock on.  Proof is a photo of you in Starbucks carrying that gun.  Strong side OWB is fine, IWB is fine, Junk-carry.  Concealment garment must be worn that hides the gun when hands are at surrender. 
Pew Pew Pew

Re: "Concealed Carry" match
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 11:45:29 AM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
Ready....set....discuss......
Pew Pew Pew

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 11:59:58 AM »

Offline Mully383

• Dreams about shooting
Panda trying to start his own sport. So can I shoot co major with a ported barrel?

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 12:01:49 PM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
Panda trying to start his own sport. So can I shoot co major with a ported barrel?

If it will fit in your pants....Just kidding. I would say yes that's a reasonable carry gun. Not a comp, but a ported barrel. Will your gun make major with a ported barrel?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:03:41 PM by praetorian97 »
Pew Pew Pew

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »

Offline motosapiens

• Guy that shoots
seems like a good idea to me. why 8 round limit for compact tho? proper compact guns hold way more than that (thinking of the p01, or m&p compact, both of which I have carried).
A75553

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 12:59:29 PM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
seems like a good idea to me. why 8 round limit for compact tho? proper compact guns hold way more than that (thinking of the p01, or m&p compact, both of which I have carried).

Equality. You will have guns that fall under the same division that will have a large variance in mag capacity. This keeps the playing field more level.

For example me being able to hold 10 rounds in my 40 single stack vs a 45 at 8. But both are scored major. I think the 2 extra rounds matter especially in an 8 round steel array.

I see stopping the I carry extended base pads in my carry gun argument as well.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:01:41 PM by praetorian97 »
Pew Pew Pew

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner
I think capacity should be only limited to what fits in the box for that division.  G17 holds 17 rnds, so be it.  Party on Wayne.  1911 only holds 8 or 9 or 10.  So what.  People make choices when they decide on a carry gun.  One of those choices is capacity vs concealability. 

Having a box will preclude 140mm mags, but a 126mm 2011 mag will fit just fine.  I can stuff 14 rnds of .40 or 17 rnds of 9mm into a 126mm mag.  But I don't carry my 2011... tho maybe next time I go to Starbucks I will need to take a pic. 
Hope is a lousy strategy, but sometimes it is good tactics. 

Plan B should not be Plan A twice as hard.

If you're happy and you know it, clap your... aw hell, never mind...

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 02:01:56 PM »

Offline Talionis

• Guy that shoots
I'm with Evans. If you are doing this as an outlaw/concealed carry match, don't go with IDPA's retarded 10 round limit. Go with what fits in the gun or box. You could also structure it as double stack vs single stack if that would make you feel like it was more fair.

There should be a Jack Bauer division for people to deploy their SMG's from messenger bags too, just saying. ;)

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 02:21:15 PM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
If there is going to be a Jack Bauer division my Christmas list just drastically changed.
Pew Pew Pew

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 02:42:06 PM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner
The snarky remark about taking a pic in Starbucks was intended to steer this in the direction of concealed carry guns.  If you can carry it in Starbucks without them freaking out, you be good to go. 

Will people try to push it to be able to use their Limited gun and gear?  Sure, but does it matter?  If we do this I'll probably get my game on using my carry guns (G43, STI Guardian, G19, Browning HP, et.al.).  If you want to throw a smack down on me while running your FLDC 2011, more power to you and enjoy the Winnebago we give out for HOA. 

On the flip side, if you want to shoot your M&P Shield from junk carry, better bring enough mags.  If you win HOA you will officially be known as a baller. 

Single Stack vs Double Stack does make sense, but in the end who gives a rats ass about division winners? 

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 02:44:39 PM »

Offline DJM

• Dreams about shooting
This sounds like a lot of fun, Panda.  However, I agree with Evans, and the equally astute observations of Mr. Irwin (obviously showing a brilliance obtained through intense legal training) that reducing round count is...lets see, I'm trying not to be offense...um, retarded.  Gem Stop bad guys probably aren't that concerned about fairness.  No single stack vs. double stack or other distinctions.  If you carry it, you shoot it. 

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 02:45:57 PM »

Offline DJM

• Dreams about shooting
Oh, and feel free to start making fun of me now.  I will be shooting my PCC

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 03:03:17 PM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner

You gonna sling that or junk carry it?  The more I think about it, having a trench coat/Jack Bauer division sounds cool.  How about: Must start from concealment and whatever you use to carry it must stay on the body during the COF.  #dontsweepme or #therewillbeconsequences

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 03:09:21 PM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....
who gives a rats ass about division winners

Hey now. L10 National Champ Weaver resembles that remark.
Pew Pew Pew

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 03:13:02 PM »

Offline praetorian97

• Wannabe shooter.....

Choice of gun never has been the foundation for laughing at you.
Pew Pew Pew

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 03:13:48 PM »

Offline DJM

• Dreams about shooting
I'm thinking a Hawaiian shirt with a velcro closure over a 9mm SBR with a single point sling is exactly what Jack would use to take out any opposition.  I may be a bit skinny to conceal the 40 round mag, however. 

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 03:14:59 PM »

Offline DJM

• Dreams about shooting
Choice of gun never has been the foundation for laughing at you.

My main goal is to provide entertainment. 

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 03:19:52 PM »

Offline Talionis

• Guy that shoots
I'm thinking a Hawaiian shirt with a velcro closure over a 9mm SBR with a single point sling is exactly what Jack would use to take out any opposition.  I may be a bit skinny to conceal the 40 round mag, however.

Do I need to post the video of my bill drill from AIWB with my MP5? Sadly I haven't found it very concealable either slung or down the pants with the 30 or 40 round mags. Shorty magazines are good to go though. I prefer a nice Member's Only or canvas field jacket for concealment, myself.

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »

Offline KennyP

• Dreams about shooting
 I'd be in to shoot the match, I'd shoot my Shield. Gotta load up some 9mm though, I haven't loaded anything but .40 in years.

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 03:40:02 PM »

Offline EKuo

• Shooter!
  • Airgunner
Do I need to post the video of my bill drill from AIWB with my MP5?

Yes