Author Topic: 3 Gun Complete Uppers  (Read 1823 times)

3 Gun Complete Uppers
« on: March 23, 2018, 10:39:15 PM »

Offline DAVIS

• Guy that shoots
Anyone want to talk about guns?

I have a billet lower receiver that needs some hardware. I know a hell of a lot more about cooking food for ARs than I do about the hardware. These dang erector sets have so many variables.

I'd like to do a "build" where I don't really have to do too much of a build, so I'm thinking about a complete upper that would be a good blaster and have some utility in getting into 3 gunning.

I also have a strong preference to "Buy Idaho" so I'm looking at these two complete uppers. Both are 18", Wylde chambers. 1:8 twist. Sounds good to me.

First is the 3G2 from Seekins. It has a flat-bottomed handguard. I can see pros and cons to a flat bottom. This upper might be a little heavy?

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-and-accessories/complete-upper-receivers/spro3g-18-upper.html

The other is from Odin. I don't know if I have a preference for M-Lok or KMod.

https://www.odinworks.com/product_p/cu-bl-15-ml-18-3g-r-gbadj.htm

I'd love your thoughts. Then I'd need to think about stocks, triggers and lower parts kits.

Re: 3 Gun Complete Uppers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 08:14:17 AM »

Offline No-one

• Staff
  • Wannabe shooter.....
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Most of the 3-gun rifles I have handled tend to be a bit on the heavier side of things so my personal opinion is to build a well balanced one. I have an Odin Works 18 inch barrel and a V-tac round hanguard on the rifle I built but offset the weight of the upper with a Magpul PRS stock so it doesn't feel as heavy as it really is.

All that being said I think the world of Glen Seekins and would go out of my way to support him.

About to make poor choices and regrettable decisions

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 08:30:13 AM »

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    • [quote author=DJM link=topic=2918.msg25501#msg25501 date=1403129184]  You're a wannabe douche bag.[/quote]
When it comes to Seekins vs Odin the biggest difference will be cosmetics, Tom and Glen both build quality parts and you can’t go wrong with either.
I personally don’t like the flat bottom handguard when holding it in an offhand shooting position YMMV.
Hawktech should have most of these parts in stock and would put an upper together for you if you wanted to mix and match between manufactures.
"I don't think I have ever met anyone quite so fragile™."
"Please moderate this person for abusive use of power."
Ken Reed

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 10:52:28 AM »

Offline EKuo

• Staff
  • Shooter!
  • Airgunner
Last year I did a remake of the upper I use for 3gun.  My first attempt was heavy, too heavy as it turns out and there was too much weight towards the muzzle.   

With that in mind I went with a 16” Odin .750” dia barrel with the “intermid” gas.  Wylde chamber and 1:8 twist. I used the Odin gas block that came with the barrel, added a Seekins NOX handguard and Seekins ATC comp. Much happier with the results.  I like how the weight of the gun is more balanced for off-hand shooting and the smaller handguard feels better in the hand. I dialed the set screws on the gas block when I first installed it to lock back on empty and haven’t messed with it since. My last addition was a JP SCS buffer in the lower.   

Hope is a lousy strategy, but sometimes it is good tactics. 

Plan B should not be Plan A twice as hard.

If you're happy and you know it, clap your... aw hell, never mind...

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »

Offline DAVIS

• Guy that shoots
Reps all! Great info. There are so many dang variables on ARs, so I might have more questions than answers. But that is part of the process.

JMack, your point about the flat bottom is kind of what I was wondering about. Thank you for addressing that specifically. I also wonder how it is to shoot off barriers that are sloped left to right or right to left.

I'll go talk to the good fellas at Hawktech and see what they think.

Evans, did you do the assembly yourself? What is the length of the NOX handguard?

I don't know the weight of the Odin assembly, but the Seekins is, I believe 6.2 pounds. What do you consider to be too heavy?

Oh, and M-Lok or KeyMod?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:20:38 PM by DAVIS »

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 10:51:50 AM »

Offline EKuo

• Staff
  • Shooter!
  • Airgunner
15” on the handguard.  For a year or two I jumped on the “support hand all the way out” bandwagon but lately have been holding it about mid-way.  But the extra length helps when you need extra room on the handguard to mount accessories and stuff, such as a bipod mount (I’m shooting 2x4 division which is essentially “Open” division and bipods are allowed).  Last night’s 2-gun match I had a flashlight mounted on there.  I did the assembly myself. 

As far as weight, I was shooting to be in the 6 lb range for the rifle itself before optics.  My scope is stupid heavy which bumped the overall weight up. 

I went M-lok, no reason than I like the look over Keymod (which I also have).  Seems like both have good after-market support which is the important thing.  I have a handguard that is pre Mlok or Keymod and finding mounts for accessories can be hard (not that you need a lot for 3-gun). 
Hope is a lousy strategy, but sometimes it is good tactics. 

Plan B should not be Plan A twice as hard.

If you're happy and you know it, clap your... aw hell, never mind...

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 11:27:08 AM »

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
    • [quote author=DJM link=topic=2918.msg25501#msg25501 date=1403129184]  You're a wannabe douche bag.[/quote]
My preference is KeyMod system but I have both, if you think you’ll be buying mostly Magpul accessories or prefer them then go with the M-Lok system.
Ken Reed

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 09:41:22 AM »

Offline DJM

• Dreams about shooting
Davis

I haven't been on here for months, but now I'm here I can't help but throw in my two cents.  I agree with Evans and JMack regarding uppers.  I think the Odin 02 handguard is impossible to beat. 

My experience has been that a heavy scope will do more to ruin the feel of a rifle than anything else.  Notwithstanding new offerings from Nightforce and Leupold, I think Kahles is still the best high end 3-gun scope.

I shot a rifle a few months ago with a Burris RT-6.  If you're trying to not break the bank, that is a hard deal to beat.

Put some money into the trigger.  By far the best trigger for 3-gun (in my opinion) in the AR Gold with the flat blade.  I say that because the first time I went into a plate rack and a spinner with one I realized I was unnecessarily hammering the shit out of the trigger.  I had been running a Hyperfire with the big pad for awhile, and you don't realize how hard you are jerking the trigger.  With the narrow flat blade, which you can set as light as you want, you feel how hard you are pulling/jerking the trigger because it presses into the pad of your finger.  It has improved my ability to shoot quickly and accurately.  When I pick up the rifle and start shooting, I can immediately tell if I'm way too keyed up and am hammering the trigger.  Unfortunately, that doesn't always translate into settling down and doing it right, but at least I know I should.

Good luck.  See you at the next match. 

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 08:28:02 PM »

Offline DAVIS

• Guy that shoots
Davis

I haven't been on here for months, but now I'm here I can't help but throw in my two cents.  I agree with Evans and JMack regarding uppers.  I think the Odin 02 handguard is impossible to beat. 

My experience has been that a heavy scope will do more to ruin the feel of a rifle than anything else.  Notwithstanding new offerings from Nightforce and Leupold, I think Kahles is still the best high end 3-gun scope.

I shot a rifle a few months ago with a Burris RT-6.  If you're trying to not break the bank, that is a hard deal to beat.

Put some money into the trigger.  By far the best trigger for 3-gun (in my opinion) in the AR Gold with the flat blade.  I say that because the first time I went into a plate rack and a spinner with one I realized I was unnecessarily hammering the shit out of the trigger.  I had been running a Hyperfire with the big pad for awhile, and you don't realize how hard you are jerking the trigger.  With the narrow flat blade, which you can set as light as you want, you feel how hard you are pulling/jerking the trigger because it presses into the pad of your finger.  It has improved my ability to shoot quickly and accurately.  When I pick up the rifle and start shooting, I can immediately tell if I'm way too keyed up and am hammering the trigger.  Unfortunately, that doesn't always translate into settling down and doing it right, but at least I know I should.

Good luck.  See you at the next match.

Oh man, this is a great post. Thank you. This is some good data to consider. Alas, my upper project is paused for a few. Rep, for sure. I will refer back to this thread, most definitely.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 03:03:40 PM »

Offline Bill, Idaho

• Dreams about shooting
Just what does a "3 gun" AR need, as opposed to an AR set up for other types of competition? Or maybe home defense, or LE use, SWAT, or....?

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 04:54:17 PM »

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
Just what does a "3 gun" AR need, as opposed to an AR set up for other types of competition? Or maybe home defense, or LE use, SWAT, or....?

Bling, Chicks and 3 gunners love the bling.

Ken Reed

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 07:52:15 PM »

Offline Bill, Idaho

• Dreams about shooting

Never mind.

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 02:49:33 PM »

Offline DAVIS

• Guy that shoots
Alright, a bit of time has passed, but based in part on some great advice here, I had the good folks at Hawktech assemble this upper for me.

Upper is Odin everything. 16" intermediate gas with the OW adj gas block. At the last minute I called an audible and chose their new RUNE forend. Thing is light, smooth, and a circumference that fits me. Thanks to Hawktech for having several different specimens on hand to handle.

Went with a Velocity trigger, and it seems to be a pretty decent value.

Burris RT-6 is proving to be a decent optic for its price point.

All I need to do is to drill a slightly larger port on the comp to control the a slight bit of muzzle rise  (it is configured for an 18" barrel).

Couldn't be happier. Thank you all again for input. See you at the range sometime!

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 06:51:29 PM »

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
That is a good looking rifle!!!!!
Ken Reed

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 10:31:53 PM »

Offline DAVIS

• Guy that shoots
That is a good looking rifle!!!!!

Hey, thanks. I thought about mixing in some FDE or some other anodized bling, but decided to go full Evil Black Rifle on this one. I did add this cool Odin Works extended mag release. I like it. Cool that we have such great 2A suppliers right here in our state.

Nike does not approve

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 07:58:19 PM »

Offline J Mack

• Assistant Janitor
  • Directors
  • Shooter!
Building and shooting rifles is a great hobby and we are blessed to live in Idaho and live as free Americans with the support of some fantastic companies.

Good choice with the Odin Works parts, Tom is a good guy and builds quality stuff.
Ken Reed